Friday, December 5, 2008

Old School Fridays - Actors Who Can Sing and Vice Versa

There are too many in either category for me to name. For instance, Isaac Hayes, Gladys Knight, and Aretha Franklin come to mind as singers who from time to time have acted. Almost every old school actor can sing, a skill that is part and parcel of an actor. How about a dancer, who could act and sing. I chose the late Gregory Hines who was a true triple threat. I was astounded when I heard him hold his own with Luther Vandross. Here are the two legends singing "There's Nothing Better Than Love".

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine

The rules are simple:


1. Anyone can participate; any music genre
2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999
3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version
4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane
5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out
6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants

If you want to join in on the fun, click here.

9 comments:

Kimberlythinks said...

Gregory Hines! Yes...defining entertainer of my childhood. Aww ..now I want to go see what Savion Glover is doing with himself. Thanks for posting this.

Hagar's Daughter said...

I miss this entertainer terribly. He was great! Happy OSF.

clnmike said...

Man I forgot about old gregory Hines a real all around talent.

Good choice.

Anonymous said...

Great choice, I have chosen Gregory Hines in the past, so I decided to not do him this week. But much like Sammy Davis, Jr, Gregory Hines was a triple threat. Great choice.

Revvy Rev said...

You got us with this! You are so right about the old school actors - they could sing, dance, act, play musical instruments, tell jokes - everything. Great Pick! Gregory Hines had some great roles.

Marvalus said...

Aww, Gregory Hines! Man, I love this song with him and Luther...classic!

Unknown said...

I was so IN LOVE with Gregory Hines!!! And this is one of my favorite songs!!
Great pick!

Anonymous said...

I loved (and still love) Gregory Hines! I cried (selfishly) when he died because I was deprived of a great dancer, singer, actor and comic all at once!

I love watching the Will & Grace reruns that had him as Will's boss, remember those?

This was an absolutely perfect choice for this OSF!

Malcolm said...

I felt the same way as you when I first heard Gregory Hines on "There's Nothing Better Than Love". Gregory was definitely a throwback to the days when it was common for performers to do it all.