Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bernie Mac Is Dead At 50

CHICAGO - Emmy- and Golden Globe-nominated actor and comedian Bernie Mack has died at age 50, his publicist said Saturday.His publicist Danica Smith said Bernie Mac died early Saturday at a hospital in the Chicago area of complications due to pneumonia.


The comedian suffered from sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease that produces tiny lumps of cells in the body’s organs, but he had said the condition went into remission in 2005. He recently had been hospitalized and treated for pneumonia. Mac had starring roles in “Ocean’s Eleven,” “Bad Santa,” “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” and “Transformers.” The Mac Man (his nickname) was also mentioned in Christina Aguilera's song "Dirty".

Mac, along with Steve Harvey, Cedric The Entertainer, and D. L. Hughley were "The Original Kings of Comedy" which produced some of the funniest stand up I have ever witnessed and Bernie Mac was arguably the funniest among the four. His act had me in stitches, especially the sketch about his grandmother. The comedian also drew critical and popular acclaim with his Fox television show "The Bernie Mac Show".

Born Bernard Jeffery McCullough on October 05, 1957 in Chicago, Illinois. He is survived by his wife Rhonda and daughter Je'niece. Read more biographical information at Popculture Dish.

Check out the Mac Man's breakdown of the word "muthafucka"

6 comments:

Lori said...

The hubby brought this to my attention earlier this morning. What a bummer ): He was one funny dude. I'll miss his "all up in your face" style.

pjazzypar said...

Yeah Lori, Bernie Mac was the funniest to me. The first time I remember seeing him was in one of those "House Party" movies and then in "Friday". His breakout role was probably in the film "Life". The dude was just hilarious.

Candy Minx said...

Oh no!

this is sad terrible news...I just told Stagg and he is so sad. We hadn't heard yet. I love the Kings of Comedy we have it here on dvd or tape. I loved his show with his neices and nephews and sometimes tears would stream down my face I would laugh so hard!

I think i t is always especially sad when a comedian dies...the world is a lesser place...

pjazzypar said...

The Mac Man was just hilarious to me. When I heard this I said I was going to pop my copy of "Kings" in the DVD as a tribute. Tell Stagg it will be okay, but I know how he feels :-(

Anonymous said...

Sad! Sad! Sad news indeed! Bernie will be greatly missed!

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::

Malcolm said...

Because we were led to believe that Mac was responding well to treatment, his death really caught me off guard. Until I looked him up on imdb.com, I had forgotten that he appeared on Def Comedy Jam back in the early 90s.