Friday, August 29, 2008

Old School Friday: Neo Soul


For this week's theme, I selected two singers that helped to kick off the Neo Soul musical genre: Erykah Badu and Maxwell




This meme was developed by
Marvalus View and Ms. Grapevine. The rules are simple:

1. Anyone can participate; any music genre
2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999 (with the exception of this week).
3. No offensive words allowed, please use edited radio version
4. Post a video of your favorite Old School song to take us back down memory lane
5. Add your name to the meme list so that others can check you out
6. Have fun & don't forget to leave comments for other participants. If you want to join in on the fun, click here.

First let's listen to Ms. Badu "The Other Side Of The Game"





Here's Maxwell singing "Fortunate"


11 comments:

clnmike said...

Good picks Badu is the poster child for Neo Soul.

Kimberlythinks said...

Yay Maxwell! Eagerly awaiting his return to the music scene...even if its fro-less.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/Clnmike... but I think both of them are the poster children fro neo-soul. In the 70's they probably would have been hippies. :-)

Hagar's Daughter said...

I bow to the Queen of Neo Soul...

Lori said...

MAXWELL! All right PJ, you're trying to make me swoon (LOL). Love me some MAXWELL.

X. Dell said...

I'm laughing at myself because any minute now, old school will include songs made popular when I was in my forties.

Marvalus said...

::hand claps::

Two of my favorites...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am visiting from Barbara/Layla's blog because I loved your comment on moderating and wanted to see what you were about. I loved the Maxwell video and love Neo Soul.
Maxwell kind of made me think of this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ZF-vvm6PQ

Anonymous said...

Wow, is he pretty!!! I'm really getting to like neo-soul!

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Malcolm said...

Of course Neo-Soul sounds good at any time of the day, but listening to the Erykah Badu clip was just right for a Sunday morning (which is right now). I wonder if Erykah got a kink in her neck from that ginormous Afro wig she was wearing.