Friday, January 30, 2009

Old School Fridays - Original Vs Remake

If you know anything about Motown, you know that practically every single was cut on more than one artist, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" comes to mind. Anyhow I am going with two Motown heavyweights this time, the Jackson five covering Stevie Wonder's "I Don't Know Why I Love You, But I Love You". Little Michael definitely gives Stevie a run for the money on this one in my humble opinion.

This meme was developed by Marvalus View and Mrs. Grapevine

The rules are simple:

1. Anyone can participate, any music genre

2. Old School is defined as music created before 1999

3. No offensive music allowed, please use the edited radio version

4. Post a video of your favorite songs to take us back down memory lane

5. Add your name to the meme so that others can check you out

6. Have fun and don't forget to leave comments for other participants

Click here to join in the fun!

12 comments:

Revvy Rev said...

I am partial to Stevie. A wise man once said "He who would be as great as his predecessor must be greater."
I saw your reference to Gladys/Marvin. Thanks for the history. Happy OSF!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you mentioned some of my top favs - Heard It Through The Grapevine is on my top ten list, and I adore Stevie Wonder - have since he first hit the scene decades ago as a young boy. Love him.

And that photo of The Jacksons was a stroll down the Memory Lane of pre-plastic surgery rock and roll, lol!

Wait til you see all the remakes of Helter Skelter I found!

Tha Connoisseur said...

I love this song, yet I am always conflicted when it comes down to these two choices. I love Michael!...lol The artist who really DID up the song something serious for me was Jill Scott, when she performed it during the BET salute to Stevie. I had goosebumps.

Happy OSF!

Kimberlythinks said...

Both versions are cool with me.

Vérité Parlant said...

Can't go wrong following Stevie in music. Michael used to sing like he was an old man. Remember "who's loving you"? Folks used to ask how can that little boy sing like that, like he knows something about love already? :-)

Believer said...

I don't recall this song, but I enjoyed Stevie Wonder's version for sure.

Happy OSF! You'll find my link over at Marvalus View.

Hey Shae! said...

Dag on it, I'm going to have to call a draw on this one.

PS- Plastic surgery is the devil! Look at how cute they were. :(

SjP said...

Gotta go with Stevie. I think Mike was a little to young back then to understand what he was singing about.

Marvalus said...

Boy, that little Michael was a singing fool, wasn't he?

I prefer the Stevie (I'm biased and partial), but that little Michael was a singing fool, wasn't he?

Malcolm said...

I had never heard either version until now... thanks for posting them. In the battle between Stevie and The J5, I'm calling it a draw.

Unknown said...

close but I gotta go with Stevie on this one! he just added a little more depth to it!

X. Dell said...

Motown did a that quite a bit; follow up a hit record with a cover version by another Motown artist.