Saturday, April 19, 2008

Supercentenarian Turns 115

Edna Parker, who is recognized by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest known person, turns 115 on Sunday. Researchers want to know why she and other supercentenarians (people 110 and older) enjoy such long lives. Scientists who study longevity hope Parker and others who live to 110 or beyond can help uncover the mystery of extreme longevity.

Mrs. Parker’s 59-year-old grandson provided insight on why his grandmother has lived as long as she has by stating that "she's never been a worrier and she's always been a thin person", so maybe that has something to do with it. So essence most of us need to lose some weight and adopt a positive, worry-free attitude. I am sure I won't make it to be a supercentenarian and I don't know if I would want to if it was possible.

On Friday, Parker laughed and smiled as relatives and guests released 115 balloons into sunny skies outside her nursing home. Dressed in pearls, a blue and white polka dot dress and new white shoes, she clutched a red rose during the festivities.

2 comments:

The Rock Chick said...

Hmmmm....I don't know about the worry part. My grandparents are both 96 and in perfect health and seem 20-25 years younger than they are, but OMG, they are the biggest worriers I've ever met in my life.

I think it's totally incredible to live that long. I know how things have changed just in my 40 years. I think it would be so cool to have witnessed so many years personally.

pjazzypar said...

RC, Can you imagine what she has seen in her lifetime, seeing that she was born in 1893. I cannot even imagine the life she has lived from horse and buggies to the information age. Fascinating. Are your grandparents worriers or just chronically paranoid (wait is there a difference?).