Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Battle of the Two Davids

I am not surprised that when the dust settled David Cook and David Archuleta would be the last two standing on American Idol. I predicted several weeks ago that David Cook’s rendition of Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean was enough to get him into the finale. He consistently made excellent song choices and did well even when he had to go outside of his rocker style to perform the songs of Mariah Carey and Dolly Parton.

David Archuleta was also pretty reliable when it came to churning out quality performances week after week. This guy has an excellent voice and handle himself well for a teenager still in high school. Archuleta sings songs that I can identify with more, since his musical influences are Natalie Cole, Stevie Wonder, Kirk Franklin, and Brian Adams. However, I seem to be leaning toward David Cook because of his high-powered performances and the way he commands the audience.

The finale begins on Tuesday night 8:00 EST / 7:00 CST and the winner will be announced on Wednesday night. It promises to be an exciting night and I think both of these guys will definitely be on top of their game.

2 comments:

The Rock Chick said...

For the first time, I love both American Idol finalists. I think they both are equally talented, but they are very different.

Personally, I prefer David Cook. When he performs, it's obvious that he has the maturity needed to be an outstanding performer. Archuletta is technically a better singer than Cook, but he really seems to lack the maturity or the confidence he needs at this point. If he were a few years older, it would be no contest, in my opinion.

The teenage girls just LOVE Archuletta, though, and since they probably are the majority of the voters, I predict he will win.

Cant wait to see how this plays out.

pjazzypar said...

I am leaning toward Cook myself. We'll see what happens on Wednesday.