As I have mentioned before I am a huge fan of American Idol and over the years there have been a few skeletons in the closet of more than one contestant. Besides the alleged voting irregularities (Tamyra Gray – Nikki McKibbon, Ruben Studdard – Clay Aikens, Latoya London – Jasmine Trias) there has been plenty of behind the scene scandalous and criminal behavior. This year is no exception.
1. Season 7 - David Hernandez is the newest in a long string of 'Idol' contestants who have had some R-rated past details surface during their 15 minutes. The current contestant reportedly worked as a male stripper in a "mostly men" club.
2. Season 6 - Antonella Barba stole all of the headlines early on as a batch of racy photos of her spread their way across the Internet. She was eliminated a few weeks after the scandal emerged.
3. Season 4 - Mario Vazquez was accused of sexually harassing an 'Idol' employee while he was a contestant on the show. He later dropped out of the show for "family reasons."
4. Season 2 - Frenchie Davis was booted from season two after admitting to having once worked for an adult Web site. An online petition campaign to bring her back failed.
5. Season 2 - Two years after being kicked off of 'Idol' because of a prior criminal record, Corey Clark claims he had a relationship with 'Idol' judge Paula Abdul.
6. Season 2 - Through his entire career, 'Idol' runner-up Clay Aiken has battled rumors and claims about his sexuality, including an Internet scandal involving what seemed to be a shirtless Aiken.
7. Season 7 - Carly Smithson progressed on "American Idol" Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008 amid controversy over her professional past. The Irish singer who once had a major-label deal, and solo album that flopped.
8. Season 4 - Two weeks after receiving a year's probation for drug possession and battery charges (and shortly before returning to rehab in California), 10th place finalist Jessica Sierra found herself back in a Tampa Bay jail for disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest.
9. Season 6 - Perhaps no other 'Idol' contestant caused more controversy than Sanjaya Malakar, who had Simon threatening to leave the show, received support from Howard Stern in hopes of destroying 'Idol's' reputation and caused a non-fan to go on a 12-day hunger strike in protest.
10. Season 5 - Court TV uncovers that Bucky Covington once tried to switch places with his twin brother to help him avoid criminal prosecution.
11. Season 5 – The identical Brittenum twins wow the judges, though no one knew the boys had outstanding criminal warrants. Both were charged in Georgia with forgery, theft by deception and identity fraud for allegedly using another man's identity to buy a car.
12. Season 4 - It's revealed that finalist Bo Bice was busted in 2001 for cocaine and marijuana possession.
13. Season 4 - Smokinggun.com reveals Scott Savol had a domestic dispute with his live-in girlfriend -- on Valentine's Day 2001, no less.
Do you think that a contestant’s past deeds should keep them from participating in this singing competition?Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants